Thursday, March 13, 2014

Green Machine Musings – Modano Night

 
            Could any one night define a player?  Could any one week define a franchise?  For the Dallas Stars, the answer to both of those questions might just be yes.  After kicking off their most recent home-stand with a convincing 6-1 win over the hopelessly lost Vancouver Canucks, the stage was set for the biggest night for the Stars in at least four seasons.  I say that in reference to April 8, 2010, the last home game in a Stars uniform for the greatest American skater in NHL history, the one they simply called “Mo”.
            I’ve only been a Stars fan for a short while, so I never got to see Mike Modano skate in person, but I don’t think that that detracted from my experience at his jersey retirement ceremony this past Saturday.  Believe me, for all those years that I followed the sport, I knew his name.  He was somewhat of a demigod for the two decades that he played, but I think his legend has only grown since he hung up his skates.  I understood that fully as I watched the green carpet parade.  For all these amazing men to be here, I knew that I was going to be a part of something bigger than I could ever comprehend.  The images tell the story much better than I’ll ever be able to:
 
The view from my seat in Section 317
The curtain fell to reveal the entire 1999 Stanley Cup championship team
 
 
            In my opinion, Modano made his best quote as he was talking about the places that he has called home: Livonia, Michigan; Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; and Minneapolis, among others.  He claimed, “Now, when people ask me where I’m from.  I say I’m from Texas.”  The crowd reacted as though we’d just won the Cup.

You can watch #9 ascend to the rafters here.

And then we all remembered – we still had a hockey game to play.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment