Thursday, February 20, 2014

Snarknado: Ice Dancing Poses

I wasn't planning on poking fun at Ice Dancing this week. Figure Skating is a really difficult thing to do. Growing up in Texas I've never been on ice skates. I've been on rollerblades before which looked a lot like Bambi walking on the ice for the first time, so I imagine I would fare even worse on the ice.  These pairs are jumping, lifting, and flying across the ice at high speeds, it's really a miracle there aren't a lot of significant injuries. Plus, they are trying to sell whatever story the dance is supposed to tell so it's both a very physically and emotionally demanding sport. For all these reasons I was going to leave Ice Dancing alone this week, but then this happened:
 
Just look at this picture of an amazing athletic achievement. It looks like she is trying to do the heimlich maneuver. If the story they are trying to capture is the walking dead then they were very successful. He's staring deep into your soul it looks like a cry for help. He's crying out to us saying "If I don't win gold I may never walk again". 
 Let's refocus there are plenty of weird photos across all sports. I'm sure if you look through a normal NFL or NBA game and snap a picture at the right time you can make those athletes look pretty silly too. These people are jumping around the ice all the time. They're doing triple axels, and other moves but the only one I know of is a triple axel.  I was back to enjoying these brave ice dancers and admiring their athletic ability, but then this happened:
 
 This is getting ridiculous. I'm trying to help these people out, but what is this? Is she the zombie now? Maybe she was infecting him in the first picture, and that's why his body looked so lifeless. He's just standing behind her like what's up? It's like he's daring me to say something about this pose. It looks like one of those weird paintings that you wouldn't understand because you haven't been through that type of pain before.  If you showed this to someone, and said it was a sport they would laugh because it just looks like a bad photo shoot on ice.
Meryl Davis and Charlie White won the gold in Ice Dancing for the United States. Canada won silver, and was unhappy with the score the judges gave the Americans. I won't remember any of that though the two images that stick in my mind is the Ice Dancing duo in the pictures above. They left the biggest impression on me. Congrats you have left your mark on the ice dancing competition forever.
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment